Name and location of repository
Level of description
Graphic Design Department
- 1946- (Creation)
Name of creator
The Graphic Design department officially became a department in May 1986 (then called Graphics and Packaging Design, which soon changed to Graphic and Packaging Design in the late 1980s). Prior to 1986, graphic and packaging courses fell under the Advertising Department (1930s - early 1970s), and then the Communications Design Department, which included Advertising and Graphics/Packaging (early 1970s - 1986). The name of the department changed circa 1996 from Graphic and Packaging Design to Graphic Design.
List of Chairs (beginning in 1986):
Paul Hauge (1986-1988)
James Miho (1988-1996)
Gregory Thomas (acting chair, 1996-circa 2000)
Linda Norlen (acting chair?)
Ramone Munoz (acting chair, circa 2000-circa 2002)
Allison Goodman (acting chair, circa 2002-2004)
Nikolaus Hafermaas (2004 - )
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
The Graphic Design Department fonds is a top level archival unit that encompasses everything in the Archives created by the Graphic Design department. Under the fonds-level are the following collections: Graphic Design Department collection of documents and Photograph collection.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Copyright held by Art Center College of Design (Pasadena, Calif.)
Digital materials and catalog records are made available for educational and research purposes only and cannot be reproduced, distributed, or published without written permission from Art Center College of Design.