Name and location of repository
Level of description
Advertising Department photographs
- 1947- (Creation)
Name of creator
The Advertising Department was one of the initial departments starting in 1930. During the early 1970s-1986 Communications Design included Advertising and Graphics/Packaging. Advertising was re-established as a department in May 1986.
List of Chairs:
Edward A. Adams (1930 - circa 1951)
Harvey Thompson (circa 1951 - circa 1976)
Charles Davidson (1976-1980)
George Gaw, acting Chairman (circa 1980-1983)
Julian Ryder and Paul Hauge, co chairman (1983-1986)
Martin Lipson (1986-1990)
Paula Goodman, Assoc. Chair (circa 1990-1992)
John Littlewood (circa 1992-1995)
Mikio Osaki (1995-2008)
Elena Salij (2008-2009) (acting?)
James Wojtowicz, Acting Chair (2010-2012)
Gary Goldsmith (2012 - )
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
The Advertising Department photographs in this collection begin in the late 1940s. Images of classroom critiques and mock agency presentations from the mid-1950s-1960s make up the bulk of the collection. The most commonly pictured faculty in the images are Department Chair Harvey Thompson and instructor James Jordan. There are also images of students working on their advertising designs, many of which are hand-illustrated.
Examples of Student Work are primarily from the 1950s and 1960s, with early images including the student posed with their completed project. Overall changes in how advertising has been conveyed from the 1950s through the 1980s are well-documented; the earlier designs are nearly exclusively hand illustrated, while later advertisements (from about 1965 onward) almost all include photographs in the layout.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Digital materials and catalog records are made available for educational and research purposes only and cannot be reproduced, distributed, or published without written permission from Art Center College of Design.