Art Center Wives Club

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Art Center Wives Club

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Founded in 1956, the Art Center Wives Club was sponsored by Art Center to serve as a social and support group for the wives of the college’s male students. With monthly meetings, the group had guest speakers, played bridge, and shared news of jobs and available apartments. After it had become well established, the Art Center Wives Club sponsored dances, picnics, and talent shows, and volunteered time to a variety of community organizations. The group tried to make new students’ wives welcome and often had a part in student orientation. In the mid 1960s the club organized and printed a cookbook, as well as put on a skit parodying the trials of new students and their wives. The group printed another cookbook in 1974. For most of the organization’s approximate twenty-year history, it printed a monthly newsletter, The Breadwinners Review. The group’s liaison with the school was Mildred Heredeen. It is not clear when the club ceased to exist.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places